Monday 26 July 2010

Library (Mon)Day in the Life

Thanks to Twitter, this morning I found out about Library Day in the Life. Somehow I have managed to miss the first four rounds of this - must have been when I was living in a cave! (quite at apt description of my time working at CILT, the National Centre for Languages). Anyway, now I've finally cottoned on to it, I am going to tweet and blog away for the next five days. This will hopefully act as a good development opportunity, as well as providing some insight to anyone thinking about entering into the library world.

I started the week off with a 'love your libraries' tour. This is an initiative taking place at Westminster and involves going round the four site libraries (Regent, Marylebone, Harrow and Cavendish), critically assessing the space and considering how it can be improved. Today it was Cavendish's turn. This requires quite a bit of imagination as it's currently having a extra floor built. We therefore had to don a hard hat and fluorescent jacket (height of librarian fashion!) and head into the building site. It was quite nice to see what has been achieved from all the drilling and hammering that we've had to deal with throughout this year!

I then checked some postgraduate reading lists to see what needs ordering when the new budget for 2010/11 becomes available next month. I also sorted out some e-reading renewals and researched possible organisations a lecturer can donate his maths/engineering books to. Found Education Aid and the London Mathematical Society. Hope one of them can help him!

No comments:

Post a Comment