Friday 27 May 2011

The Last Librarian

It is with some sadness that I write this post. My former employer CILT, the National Centre for Languages, went into administration in April. Many of CILT's activities have been transferred to CfBT in Reading. However, they did not buy the library and I have therefore been very concerned about what would become of this very important national collection, that has been developed over more than 40 years. I was the last librarian at CILT as they were already in trouble when I left and were only replacing "mission critical" posts.

I was pleased to hear that the CILT Resources Library has been bought by the Association of Language Learning and the University of Cambridge Language Centre. They have taken the research collection and are asking for donations to help secure its long term future.

Before work today (very early start!), I went to CILT's former premises on Westminster Bridge Road to help sort out what remains of the library collection, mainly the teaching materials, which will now go to CfBT. I was pleased to be able to help out the library in this small way, as I formed a great attachment to the collection during my time working for CILT. In fact, I felt quite guilty leaving it. Some of my former colleagues have done an excellent job in caring for the collection since my departure. They also made sure senior management did not forget about the library.

CILT was a great place to work because of the library and the majority of my colleagues, many of whom I am still good friends with now. However, because it was such a small organisation relying mainly on government money, it was a very stressful place to work. It totally consumed my life and affected my wellbeing in a way I hope no other job ever does.

Many public libraries are also facing closure due to spending cuts. Visit voices for the library to find out what you can do to help save libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment