Monday 9 May 2011

Off to work I go!

Religious studies library
Religious studies library

My normal commute to work involves cramming myself into a very small space for about 30 minutes. Today, my commute was a pleasant 20 minute walk in the sunshine.

On arriving at Lund University Libraries Head Office, I was met by Åsa Forsberg.  Åsa told me about Lund University and how the libraries function. Here are a few things I learnt:
  • Lund University has 47,000 students (this makes Westminster's 22,000 look quite small!)
  • It is a legal deposit library
  • There are 30 libraries in its network (a few of which I visited today, including the interestingly designed religious studies one, as pictured above). The law library had chandeliers!
  • The faculties fund their libraries, including the staff
  • They have a library council and various cross-site working groups
I will be finding out more about the various projects at Lund, including DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals), over the next fortnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment